The old historical Holy Monastery
of Zoodochos Pigi of Poros is located
4km east of the main city of Poros island
and is built on the slope of a pine forest.
It
was founded in 1720 a.d.
by the Archbishop of Athens Iakovos
(Jacob) the 2nd, who, suffering
from lithiasis, was miraculously cured, after
drinking from the holy water springing near
the Holy Monastery.
In 1733 a.d. the Patriarch
of Constantinopolis Paisios the 2nd recognises
it as a monastery under the Patriarch's jurisdiction.
The act gives it a lot of privileges.
Later
on, in 1798 a.d., Patriarch Grigorios (Gregory)
the 5th, with a sigillion (officially sealed
document), which is safely kept in the quest
quarters (Archondariki) of the Holy Monastery,
ratifies the Patriarch Paisios's the 2nd
document, related to the privileges of the
Monastery.
The Monastery's
offer (financial, social and spiritual)
to
the
Greek Liberation War in 1821 was invaluable.
The first Governor of the liberated Greece
Ioannis Kapodistrias as well as the great
warriors in land and sea Miaoulis, Tompazis,
Apostolis, Boudouris, Drosinos,
got strenght from their beloved monastery,
praying in front of the holy icon of the
Mother of God of Zoodochos Pigi monastery.
In 1828, in the establishments
of the Holy Monastery, Ioannis Kapodistrias founded
the first orphanage of the
liberated Greek nation for the orphans of
the warriors of the war for freedom.
180
orphans were sheltered in the monastery,
which took full care of them.
In 1830, the first Eclesiastical
School, in the eastern wing of the
Monastery, was founded by I. Kapodistrias,
with 15 students.
The
Governor's vision was to provide the new
born state with educated clergymen, willing
to work for its spiritual support.
The
Holy Monastery became a source of spiritual
comfort for many believers and other religious
people.
In 1814, a group of monks
from Mount Athos, called "Kollyvades",
took refuge in this Monastery.
A
few years later, these monks founded the
Zoodochos Pigi Monastery at Longovarda in
this island of Paros.
In
1821, monks from another monastery of Mount
Athos also sought refuge in this monastery
in order to keep in safety the sacred and
valuable articles of their monastery and
the Holy Relic of Saint John the
Baptist.
In
this monastery also, in the beginning of
the 20th century, Saint Nectarios,
a saint of our times, stayed for a couple
of months as well as other holy ascetic people,
who sanctified the place with their prayers
and priritual struggles.
The Main Church (Katholiko)
Katholiko, that is the main
church of the monastery, is a
bacilica
with a dome and a tower like belfry.
In
both sides of the vestibule of the church
there are the
tombs of the heroic
admirals of the Liberation War of
Greece Manolis Tombazis, from Hydra island
nad Nikolaos Apostolis, from Psara island.
Inside
the church there is an excellent
iconostasis
(templo) of exquisite craft. It was
propably made in Asia Minor, it is five meters
high, curved on lime-wood and plated with
gold.
Its
great height and its bending surface towards
the main part of the church, help to the excellent
acoustics of the building.
On
the right of the iconostasis the household
icon of
Panagia, the Zoodochos Pigi
(the life-giving spring), is placed.
The old Byzantine icon is dated in 1650 a.d.
It is a masterpiece of Byzantine art.
Around
the main figure of the Mother of God, many
miracles that Her Grace worked are depicted.
In front of the icon there
is a silver oil lamp, in which a vigil
light is burning, as a token of gratitude
for the miracle worked by the Mother of
God in 1990.
After
a long period of rainlessness, Panagia listened
to the prayers of monks and priests and it
rained.
Opposite to the icon of Panagia and
on the left of the "templo" there
is an icon of the Mother of God painted
by the
Italian painter and doctor
Raphael Tsecoli (1849 a.d.).
The
icon shows Panagia holding the Holy Infant
Jesus and a sceptre.
This
icon was donated to the Monastery by Tsecoli
out of gratitude because his daughter, Archia
Tsecoli, who finally died of tuberculosis
in 1847, was hosted and cured at the monastery.
Tsecoli
has given his daughter's lineaments to the
face of Panagia and little Jesus.
In
the lower part of the icon, Tsecoli painted
the Monastery, protected by the Mother of
God.
On the left side of the church,
near the entrance, there is also a small,
miracle-working icon of great value, placed
on a wood-engraved stand.
It
is called
Panagia the Amolyntos (Mother
of God, the Immaculate), dated in
1590 and is decorated with a gold-and-silver-plated
cover.
It
is called "
Evresis",
because it was found in the woods. It was
offered by monk Zosimas.
On the western wass of the church,
the icon of
Christ Pantocrator
(the All-Mighty God) is hung,
made with excellent craftsmanship (1780).
According
to tradition, there are two more icons offered
by the admirals Basilios Boudouris and Andreas
Miaoulis.
It
is said that Miaoulis had a gold-and-silver-plated
icon of Panagia Zoodochos Pigi with him, in
his battle ship "Aris".
He
had it hung on the ship's bridge and he often
prayed in front of it during the sea-lights.
On the outer south wall of
the main church a
sundial is
attached.
It
is the work of a priest-monk named
Galaction
Galatis, who was prior of the Monastery.
The
Holy Monastery comes under the notice of the
Holy Metropolis of Hydra, Spetses, Aegina,
Hermionis and Trizinia. It numbers 17 registered
monks.
Three
of them reside permantely in the Monastery
and, apart from their duties as monks, they
offer social and spiritual help to the people
of the wider territory of the local church.